Friday, December 26, 2014

The Best Yes

I am currently reading a book by Lysa TerKeurst called "The Best Yes." It is an awesome read that I would definitely recommend to everyone. I know it was definitely God ordained that I picked up this book. This book is about all about saying yes to the things that would best serve to glorify God. As TurKeurst put it, "There is a BIG difference between saying yes to everyone and saying yes to God." 

There is so much TRUTH in this. 

I personally have always struggled with this in some form or capacity. I have a hard time saying no to things because I tend to want to help everyone and make everything happen. This comes from a desire to please others and keep those around me happy. What I've found during my lifetime so far is that trying to do everything, please everyone, and make everything happen...while running around like a headless chicken causes nothing to be done...at least not done well. When you try to do everything, something will eventually slip through the cracks. Not just some things... many things. We all have a capacity and if we aren't careful we will burn out. 

In the book TerKeurst stated, "Not every assignment is my assignment...It's all about saying YES to those assignments that are truly meant to be our assignments. Not because we are guilted into saying yes. Or pressured into saying yes. Or because we couldn't figure out how to say no. But because we sense God's invitation to say yes. A BEST yes."

Colossians 3:23 says, "Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for man." 

We can't truly love God and people well if we say yes to everything. From my personal experience, when I try to do everything, I become burned out. I tend to not be in the Word as much, which leads to my mind not being renewed. When my mind is not being renewed, I forget why I do what I do in the first place. It leads to me doing things out of obligation, instead of love. The burn out leads me to be inattentive to people and things that God may be pulling on my heart to attend to. 

I don't know about you, but the burn out feels absolutely terrible. I am so hungry for more of God. I want to rest in His presence all the time. I want to know Him more. I want to experience genuine, non shallow relationships with others. I want to love God and others well. I want to glorify God in the simple and not make things so complicated with an overcomplicated schedule. 

You want this too? Join me on this journey. I'm about a third of the way through the book now and God has revealed so much already. I will be updating this blog with all He teaches me during the journey. Feel free to pick up a copy of this book at your local bookstore or on Amazon Kindle. I'm praying for us all in this journey. 

Grace and peace.

Mazie




No comments:

Post a Comment