Friday, July 11, 2014

God is NEAR to the brokenhearted.

My heart B R E A K S. 

Within these past two weeks there has been so much death. 

Three friends dear to me have lost parents. 
A lady at my church here in Columbia passed away. 
A man at my church back home passed away. 
A classmate and old coworker was killed in a boating accident. She was only 21 years old. 

During all of this, my heart is breaking for everyone around me. Seeing a close friend of mine and her sister close their mother's casket, nearly tore me apart. I can't imagine the pain she is feeling. Seeing the multiple messages my former coworker's sister puts on her wall everyday about how much she misses her dear sister who meant so much to her, breaks my heart. Receiving a text from a dear mentor and friend of mine saying that her father passed and she is preparing the arrangements, breaks my heart. Hearing about the man at my home church dying after a gruesome fight with cancer, breaks my heart. Hearing of a lady who had been coming to my church passing away, breaks my heart. 

One thing all of this is reminding me is that nothing is forever and constant, except Christ. We need to appreciate each and every person in our lives and show that appreciation while they are still here. It's so easy to get caught up in our own busy schedules and neglect the ones around us. Sometimes I get so caught up in my life in Columbia and the things going on, that I forget to call home or come home to spend time with the ones dearest to my heart. These past two weeks have reminded me to take that time out to spend with my loved ones. To give them their flowers and love while they are still alive. 

From a gospel standpoint, it has reminded me to tell everyone I come into contact about Jesus. Not just because I don't want them to go to hell, BUT because Jesus' love is better than anything this world can ever offer. And spending eternity with Him will be the best ever! These tragedies have produced in me an even deeper sense of urgency in sharing the truth of Jesus! 

For all my friends and family who are grieving, be encouraged: 

1. The Lord is NEAR to the brokenhearted (psalm 34:8). He is right there with you, holding you close. God understands your grief because His only son died on a cross for our sins. 

2. God is a comforter. He comforts us in our affliction. He cares for us (2 Corinthians 1:3-4, Psalm 147:3).

3. When Jesus returns, there will be no more death. For all who have accepted Christ, there will be eternity spend with Jesus. Praise God! 

Praying for everyone who is brokenhearted! Hold on! God fights for you! Pour your heart out to Him! When you are weak, He is strong (2 Corinthians 12:9-11)!

No comments:

Post a Comment